Thanksgiving Break is Coming Soon!

Ethan Nguyen, Contributor

Thanksgiving Break is coming soon! This is a reminder to celebrate Thanksgiving with your family and friends this holiday. Thanksgiving break runs from 11/22 to 11/26.

A nice Thanksgiving dinner.

However, what is Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving is a national holiday celebrated on various dates in the United States, Canada, Grenada, Saint Lucia, and Liberia. It began as a day of giving thanks and sacrifice for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. Similarly named festival holidays occur in Germany and Japan.

People might be saying, “Why do we celebrate Thanksgiving?”

It is a celebration and giving thanks to family and friends.  This shows respect to loved ones. It is also celebrating the harvest and other blessings of the past year. Thanksgiving is also important because it’s a positive and secular holiday where we celebrate gratitude.

However, with all of these important reasons, how did Thanksgiving form to be this important holiday?

In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and the Wampanoag shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states.

Another nice family dinner.

We asked students from Beatty Middle School about their opinions on Thanksgiving and we have received mixed reviews.

Kenneth Lee, says that “I really believe Thanksgiving is a holiday we should celebrate annually. Not just to thank our relatives, but also we get a one week off.”

Another student, Nathan Basilio, says that “I believe Thanksgiving is an overlooked holiday next to Christmas. I also believe we should have a longer break since we have more work to do at this time period.”

Finally our last student, Kaelyn Miyoshi, says that “I see Thanksgiving not as important as the other holidays. When people finish Halloween, they automatically think about Christmas.”

We took a poll in Mrs. Young’s Journalism class to see how many people celebrate Thanksgiving.

The results are 22 students celebrate Thanksgiving and 3 students do not. This goes to show that Thanksgiving is a very popular holiday.

In conclusion, Thanksgiving is pretty important holiday to celebrate. Although people have mixed reviews about Thanksgiving, it is a holiday that is widely celebrated and one of the most popular holidays ever.

What if today, we were just grateful for everything?”

— Charlie Brown