Stress in Students

Causes & How to Cope

Possible reasons on why we become stressed. (Illustrated by Evelyn L)

Have you every dealt with stress before? How about that one time where you almost forgot to hand in that huge project that was due today? Maybe you really felt nervous when you walked up on that huge stage for the first time! Did you just join a brand new club filled with people you don’t know? What about when you completely ran out of ideas for that essay that was worth a 30% of your grade for the quarter? Even with our school’s newly installed block schedule, some students still find themselves falling behind in classwork, whether it’s due to negligence into completing work, or simply becoming overwhelmed by the amount of assignments needed to be completed. Everyone has felt and experienced times of stress lots of times in their lives. When was yours?

Is Stress Good or Bad?

Some people would argue that stress is awful and that nobody should have to go through it. However, it may surprise you to know that short term stress actually helps you get through your work and complete it efficiently. If we did not experience stress, then nobody would take anything seriously, and it would not allow us to react quickly. However, long term stress that leads to a gloomy and cheerless demeanor is not good and is likely harmful, especially if it stays with you for a long time even if you are not in any real moment of stress or you really have nothing to worry about. (Info found on summahealth.org)

What’s the Science behind it?

Have you noticed that whenever you start to feel anxious or nervous, your hear begins to pound rapidly, or that you begin to breathe faster during a moment of stress? When we are under pressure, our body releases a set of hormones called adrenaline, noradrenaline, and cortisol. These hormones are released by the hypothalamus though the adrenal glands that reach into the blood stream. Due to this, our blood sugar begins to increase and adrenaline to causes a faster hear rate. At the same time, our muscles tense up. Don’t worry though, these symptoms are not permanent and will go away as soon as the worry, or stressor, goes away or when you stop thinking about it. (This information was found on burkhartdental.com, helpguide.org)

Why are Students nowadays stressing out?

As most of you readers are students attending our school, I’m sure that almost everyone reading this article has had a moment of worry at some point or another. Stress is a natural thing, and it would be very unusual for someone to never experience it before.

As this is the case, there are many factors that contribute to a student’s anxiety. Especially after a pandemic, students are still feeling nervous and uneasy about being in a school setting after over a year of sitting behind a screen with cameras off eating snacks, playing games, or not even paying attention to the class.

Along with the fact that there are now assignments for every class, brand-new middle schoolers, (this year, it’s our 7th and 6th graders) are sometimes feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work they have to complete and keeping track of when they need to turn it in. For 8th graders, the idea of transitioning into high school next year is an exciting and frightening thought at the same time.

Everyone has experienced times of nervousness, and it’s not just students, stress happens to all ages, including very young children and especially adults. Our teachers have to think of new classwork for about 8 classes, they need to grade work, and they also have to be prepared to teach new lessons to a different group of students every hour. Remember, it’s not just you who’s going through hardships everyday.

How can students in our school release anxiety?

Art, Music, and Reading. (Illustrated by Evelyn L)

Think about the thing that stresses you out. New friends? Homework? Upcoming competitions? Try to spend some time not thinking about these things for a small period of time to get your mind off of these things.

If it’s homework, then take a break for a few minutes, but if you procrastinate, that’ll just lead to more problems. Instead, maybe get a stress reliever that you can use while you work without getting distracted. Stand up and walk around for a bit every so often. Once you’re back, you’ll feel more refreshed.

If it’s something that has to do with other people, like making new friends or being part of a new sports club, then just tell yourself that these people are trying to help you, and that you’re not the only one who feels awkward or shy around them.

If these things don’t work, then try finding a new hobby to let your mind off of things. Try out a new book, and make it a good book that you want to read. If you need to read a very long book for class, and it makes you worried about not finishing it, then don’t read that book. Try reading a comic book or a funny book that can really lift your mood. Or try out a new popular series, like Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, Keeper of the Lost Cities, or any other new book that you’ve never read before but seems interesting to you.

If it’s not reading that you are interested in, try out an artsy hobby, like origami or drawing. Grab a piece of paper and turn it into something! Maybe try a new board game, like chess or checkers or any other game that can be played against a computer or a friend in real life. Try listening to music. If you don’t normally listen to music or don’t know what to search up, experiment! Ask your friends for any suggestions, or go explore on your own. Pop, classical, electric, country, whatever type of music you enjoy will definitely calm you down. And now since next week is Thanksgiving Break, you will have plenty of time to sit back and relax for a bit.

There you have it, several suggestions of how to relieve stress, the reason behind it, and why we actually need stress. If you want to try out one of these tips, go for it.