The Crown of C4

Special Interview on Mrs. Young!

Leona Ashley , Contributor

When was the last time you wrote down your feelings? Maybe it was recent, or not.
Mrs. Young is the queen of writing. Being a journalism, English, and ELD teacher. I interviewed Mrs. Young for around five minutes just so you could know more about her! Enjoy this informative article on Mrs. Young

LA: Okay, let’s start off with this, how are you Mrs. Young?
EY: I’m well, tired because I’ve been rolling out some new units in my classes but I’m also feeling satisfied with how things are going.

LA: That’s great! My first question, who are you?
EY: I’m Mrs.Young and I’m Beatty’s journalism, ELD teacher, and I teach one section of eighth grade English.

LA: Okay, how long have you been teaching?
EY: My first official teaching job was in the 2016-2017 school year so this is the start of my 6th year I think.

LA: Interesting, how did you come up with the idea of being a teacher, what made you want to teach?
EY: My answer for this is gonna be a little bit long. When I graduated from high school, I was already engaged and I went to college. It took me a while to get my degree because I got married, I had a baby, then I had two more kids and my youngest, I think she was in first grade and I realized okay, my kids don’t need me to watch them day to day anymore, I’m getting older, do I want to waitress for the rest of my life? What do I see myself doing? I was kind of trying to stay open to ideas that seemed to click for me and something that happened when I went to Palm Springs with a friend is we were talking about Common Core and this kind of reawakened this idea that back in high school I talked about maybe being a teacher. I don’t know why I forgot about it, it left my mind for like 15 years. I decided that it was something I could do because I like people and I love school, and I love the opportunity to make a difference, to show people that they matter and be a part of their future.

LA: Such a great journey, I love that! Hm, where did you go to school?
EY: CalState Fullerton! Recommend it highly, great program, it really prepared me for the actual work of being a teacher like lesson planing, classroom management and also just understanding people, understanding the things in the school system and the history of that and really opening your eyes to what other people are like. I’m a white female that grew up in a middle class household so I learned the different experiences that people in this country have and how the  system influences policies in our world. But yes CalState Fullerton, I recommend it if you want to become a teacher.

LA: That’s gonna be great for people that want to be teachers. Who have been your strongest influences in your life?
EY: As far as teaching, my sophomore English teacher Mrs. Matthews. I actually went to her for recommendation for getting back into the education program. She was just so herself, she wasn’t afraid of being silly. Some people didn’t like her because she did her own thing but she was very organized in the classroom. She wore a suit everyday and took her job very seriously while having fun with it. Yeah,  she was very organized. When I was 15 or 16 I was like “That’s who I’m gonna be when I’m older!”Also as far as teaching, my master teacher, Mrs. Tice. She was teaching at Sycamore Junior High School and she’s also been the English teacher for all three of my daughters. She was my master teacher when I was student teaching and she is definitely an inspiration for me as a teacher because she commands her students respect and she doesn’t have to do a lot of nickel and diming discipline. Her lessons are amazing, she always had great reasoning, and she just gives her students respect and space. She just makes it a fun place to learn and I thought “That’s what I want to do as a teacher!”I want to have my students work in my class feeling safe.

LA: I’m speechless, that’s very nice to hear Mrs. Young. What would you do differently if you had a chance?
EY: I would’ve played soccer in high school. Haha.

LA: How about Beatty, or your classes? Something like that.
EY: It’s hard to say, my first year teaching, I really struggled with classroom management, but I can’t say I would’ve been better in the classroom. I couldn’t have learned what I learned without going through that struggle and seeing what I needed. I couldn’t be a better teacher with better classroom discipline until I loved myself. I wish I started loving and accepted who I am and my flaws earlier because that makes it easier for me to accept other people’s flaws. We’re all human and on our own journey but you can’t speed up healing. You can’t speed up that process of living and experiencing. As far as my teaching career, it’s been a hard journey and there are still things that give me grief when I think about them, but they brought me to where I am right now and I’m really happy with where I am right now, I’m really loving what’s coming ahead.

LA: I love your answers Mrs. Young, they are beautifully framed and you can truly see the character development, good for you.
EY: I’ve grown, and a lot has helped me grow a lot, other than becoming a parent, teaching has helped me grow personally.

LA: Wonderful! Those are all the questions, thank you for your time Mrs. Young.
EY: You’re welcome.

After the interview, Mrs. Young was asked to give a quote to all students at Beatty Middle School.

“Know that life is a movie, not a picture and where you are right now doesn’t necessarily mean you will be there for the rest of your life. You can create your future through choices and hard work. Choose who you hang out with carefully because our environment shapes who we are and what we value.”

If any teacher can understand the roller coaster of 2021 and mental health, it’s Mrs. Young, a joyful and outgoing teacher of Beatty Middle School. During tutorials she often does talk circles where you can talk about mental health and build our community. Mrs. Young is a great mother, wife, teacher, and listener that will always be there when you need her.