Opinion: Is Skateboarding a Crime?

Ethan Nguyen and Nathan Basilio

Skateboarding is an all around loved sport by many people. There are 85 million skateboarders around the world. Skateboarding is a sport where people use a wooden board with a sandpaper-like material on top and metal axles that connect the four wheels with bearings into the board. It is a sport where people do technical tricks and transportation. However, many people have opposing views on skateboarding. The one big reason, is that skateboarding is a crime. However, is it really a crime?

Anatomy of a skateboard.

Now on to the main idea of this topic. Why is skateboarding a crime? Today, most skaters are more appealed to a genre of skateboarding called “street skating”. Street skating is a genre of skateboarding where skateboarders skate obstacles in the “streets”. These include curbs, handrails, stairs, concrete ledges etc. Most business owners and property owners see this as vandalism and destroying their property. Skateboarders grind and slide on obstacles that are not meant to be skated on. This is the crucial reason why skateboarding is a crime.

An example of street skating is jumping over stairs.

Here is our opinion on skateboarding. We believe skateboarding itself is not a crime because everyone has the right to own and ride a skateboard. Even skating doing tricks, is also not a crime because there are designated places to skateboard. These places are called skate parks and those places let skateboarders skate on anything they want. However, skating on other peoples property especially if it is a private property is considered a crime. People are not allowed to damage other people’s property.

We interviewed Troy Lee, a student from Beatty Middle School about his opinion about this topic.

EN: “Do you believe skateboarding is a crime and why?”

TL: “I see it is not a crime, skateboarding is similar to biking and scootering.”

EN: “For example, if I was skating a set of stairs at a bank, would you consider this a crime and why?”

TL: “I would consider this yes and no. If the bank lets people skate on their property, it is not a crime. However, if you skate there without permission, then it is considered a crime.”

Another student, Giselle Ko, gave her input about this topic.

GK: “No, I think skateboarding is not a crime because it’s something a lot of people do for fun. It’s very normal to see people skateboarding and they can express how they feel outside.”

EN: “For example, if I was skating a concrete ledge outside a bank, would you consider this a crime and why?”

GK: “No, as long as you’re not hurting other people or stealing anything from the bank, you are not committing a crime.”

Finally, our last student, Kaelyn Miyoshi gave her thoughts.

KM: No, I see skateboarding as a form of entertainment and learning.

EN: “For example, what if I was skating a handrail outside a bank, would you consider this a crime and why?”

KM: “If the bank owns that, then yes it is a crime. However, if it is just a normal handrail, then it is not a crime.”

We took a poll around the school to see if students think skateboard is a crime. Out of the 31 people, 7 people have voted yes and 24 people have voted no. Therefore, skateboarding is mostly known as not a crime.

Although many people have mixed reviews on skateboarding, majority of the people say it is not a crime and we also believe this is true. Skateboarding is an all around loved sport and people should do what they love especially in skateboarding.