American Heritage Trip

Julia Estrella , Contributor

The American heritage trip is coming up soon on February 25. It is an educational trip, where students learn about the history of America, and see historical landmarks. The places that they will see include going to New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Boston, and Washington DC. In this article, it will talk about where the students are going, and how students feel about the trip.

Itinerary 

On February 25th, students will leave for LAX no later than 4:45am in front of Target on Beach Blvdand and Orangethrope. They will arrive at Boston around in the early afternoon and stay overnight at Plymouth.

On the second day, students will eat breakfast, then tour Lexington Green and the North bridge in Concord. After, they will tour Boston by going to Boston common, Massachusetts state house, Boston Massacre site and MIT, with a stop at Harvard University and Fenway Park. They will have lunch and shop at Quincy market, and have a walking tour of the freedom trail. They will then proceed to go to Old North Church and Paul Revere’s house. They will then travel to Plymouth to view Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower II, with an overnight stay at Plymouth.

On the third day they will depart to New York and visit Yale university, they will then tour New York, view Yankees stadium, Central Park, Lincoln center, and broadway. After they will take a boat to liberty island and visit the Statue of Liberty, and sail to Ellis island, at the end of the day, students will stay overnight in New Jersey. 

On the fourth day students will go to the United States military academy, for a guid to West Point, and later visit the colonial town of Sleepy hollow. Returning to New York City they will tour  Battery Park, Wall St., Federal Hall, and visit the 9/11 memorial site. Students will go on a nighttime tour and shopping in time square, and stay overnight in New Jersey.

The fifth day, they will depart for Philadelphia and visit Princeton University, later they will visit George Washington’s Crossing, outside of Trenton. Later they will visit the tour of Independence Mall to view the liberty bell, independence Hall, and Ben Franklin’s grave. They will travel to Gettysburg

On the sixth day they will visit the National Soldiers Cemetery and the site of Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. After, students will tour Gettysburg National Battlefield Park and visit the scenes of Pickett’s Charge, Devil’s Den, Little Round Top, The Angle, and more. After the tour they will tour Ford’s Theater, Embassy Row, and the National Cathedral. Later they will go around Georgetown University and George Washington university. Before ending the day students will go on an evening tour to FDR, MLK, and Jefferson Memorial, then stay overnight in Washington D.C

Proceeding on the seventh day students will tour Mount Vernon, George Washington’s Home, the national museum of the Marine Corps in Quantino. Later they will travel south to Monticello: the home of Thomas Jefferson. Students will later visit the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, and stay overnight in Washington.

On Friday, March 4, they will walk to Capitol hill, with stops at the Supreme Court and library on congress, and visit the Smithsonian American, and Natural History Museums. Students will then visit the World War II Memorial, White House, Marine Corps, and Air Force Memorials. In the evening  they will see the Korean War, Vietnam War, and Lincoln Memorials, and stay overnight in Washington.

On the final day they will visit the International Spy Museum, Arlington National Cemetery, witness the changing of the guard and view Kennedy Gravesites, before heading home at 5:40 pm Eastern time and arriving at LAX at 8:15 pm Pacific time.

Students

8th grade Sarah Baron said “I’m really excited, to see the east coast, and everything. I’m looking forward to seeing everything, but mostly the Statue of Liberty and the universities. I’m a little scared and nervous to be away from my parents.” “ My brother has been on this trip, so I want to, but I also want to see the east coast.”
Another student who is going on the trip Samuel Otuc said “ I feel nervous, and I look forward to eating New York style pizza.” When asked about leaving his parents on this trip and what made him choose to go on the trip he said “ I feel alright about it, and what made me choose to go on the trip was seeing all the places and it’s an opportunity trip, I would recommend this trip to others.”

Conclusion 

Overall, this trip is a once in a lifetime experience that students can have the chance to go to. While it is expensive with a price of $2,700, if it is something that you really want. Seventh graders can start saving up for this trip by selling chocolates and other things.