Uh oh, sugar rush!

Kaelyn Miyoshi, Contributor

What’s your favorite candy? Could be chocolate, or maybe you’re into sour candies. Well, whatever you like or dislike, I will be talking about it here! I tallied up votes from people I went up to during break and lunch. They gave some opinions on curtain candies, like why they liked and didn’t like some. 

Let’s get to the voting first, as I tallied up all the votes from lunch and break, I first had to come up with some options for people to vote on. I asked some of my fellow journalism staff members about which ones they think would be the best fit for the list. We came up with 12 different sweet and sour candies, the options being KitKats, Hersheys, M&M’s, Sour Patches, Twix, Skittles, Tootsie Rolls, Warheads, Jolly Ranchers, Resse’s, and Snickers. 

Each candy got a good amount of votes, except Licorice and Jolly Ranchers. Sadly, those ended up with a tally of 0 votes. Unlike those, some candies had an extreme amount of votes. Let’s make a list of the highest to lowest tier. Coming 1st is Kit Kats with a total of 22 votes!  Next, in 2nd place with 15 votes is Sour Patches Kids, 3rd is Skittles with 8 votes. Then in 4th there is a three way tie, between Hersheys, M&M’s, and Snickers all with 6 votes. So, we are going to mark those all at a 4th place tier. Then, there is another tie, between Tootsie Rolls and Twix. Both ended up with 5 votes for each candy. We are also going to mark those at a valued 5th place tier. Then we get down to the lower votes, in 6th place with 2 votes, is Reese’s, and lastly with only 1 vote is Warheads. In the end, I was able to get 76 total votes from students and a couple teachers. 

Now, I know you might think that some of the voting might be rigged, or some candies had disadvantages. Like how Resse’s has peanut butter in them, some people can be allergic to peanuts, which yes can be unfair, but this is all just a student tally that I cannot control or change. But remember, it’s all just for fun! 

I could tell students enjoyed tallying votes. As I walked away to get more votes, I always heard students talking about their favorite candies, and what they wished was on the list. I love hearing feedback from students, so don’t be afraid to ask or say something about what else I can improve on or change. 

Why do you think all of these candies got placed at their tier? What is your favorite out of all of these options?