Why The Mask Mandate Being Lifted Is Beneficial

Students now have a choice whether or not to mask.

Leah Forman, Contributor

As you may know the mask mandate at our school has been lifted. Which means wearing a mask is your choice now. Is there really anything that has changed? Let’s take a look.

Tim Peacock / for The New York Times

Many students have already gotten used to wearing their masks. As soon as the mandate was lifted, nothing has changed and students continue to wear them. Although some people take them off, the majority of students keep wearing one. Why do you think this is? Well, the answer to that question is many students feel more comfortable with one on. Some people want to continue taking that extra step to stay safe, but some people just don’t want to show their face, feeling self conscious without a mask on. This is because we have gotten very used to wearing a mask and not seeing anyone’s faces. 

Even though most of the students still are wearing their masks, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing. Now, everyone has their own choice if they want to wear it or not whenever they want. Which is a good thing because the people who don’t want to wear it won’t have to. The people who do choose to wear it can. I think students will eventually grow out of the masks but since the masks are still a mandate in most states and countries, just because it’s not a mandate at our school, doesn’t mean everyone’s going to feel comfortable with it off. 

Concluding this statement, I think no one should have to feel obligated to take their mask off, that goes as well as leaving it off. Everyone should get to do what they feel is best for themselves. Many people despised wearing masks from the beginning, now they won’t have to but the people who want to keep it on can. The mandate being lifted is good because it’s up to everyone whether or not you want to wear it.